Waxing is an effective hair removal method for nearly any part of the body, including the legs, face, pubic region and underarms. Unlike shaving, waxing removes the hair by the root, which means new hair will not grow in for weeks or months, or until the next hair growth cycle. Waxing takes more preparation time than shaving, but the results usually last two weeks. To perfect waxing at home takes practice and patience.
Waxing hair removal is accomplished by spreading a waxing product thinly over the skin and removing the wax with the hair. If you plan on doing large areas of the body, you can count on making several trips to the microwave to re-warm the wax, so you better clear your schedule for at least an hour because this method of hair removal is definitely high maintenance.
The Helpful Waxing Tips at Home
There are many different types of wax- wax strips, hard wax, hot wax. Here are some useful home waxing hair removal tips:
- Always cleanse the area you are trying to wax. Wax will not adhere to skin that is covered with makeup or skin that is too oily. Cleanse the area with a mild astringent, rubbing alcohol, or witch hazel before applying the wax.
- Pat the area dry and sprinkle a bit of baby powder to keep the area dry during waxing. Be careful not to put too much powder so the wax can adhere to the hair.
- Make sure the strip adheres to the wax by gently pressing the strip, grab the end of the strip and in one quick motion pull the strip in the opposite direction of the hair growth.
- Do not use peelings one or two days before waxing.
- Do not wax after sunbath or a visiting a tanning salon. In this case there is a risk of skin irritation as waxing removes dead skin at the surface.
- Apply the wax in the direction in which the hair naturally grows. This can be hard in some areas where the hair may grow in several different directions, such as the underarms or the bikini area. In these areas, it is always better to work in smaller sections.
- You will get a better result if you allow the unwanted hair to grow a little. There needs to be enough hair for the wax to adhere to, so this may mean not shaving or tweezing for a while.
- If you are not sure how exactly to strip the wax- find some info in the web or in a beauty salon. Waxing should be done with a confident, rapid one quick pull in the opposite direction of hair growth.
- Ensure that your hair is at least 1/4″ long- otherwise the shortest hairs wont be pulled. Trim if your hair is much longer, thus the waxing will be more painless and comfortable.
- Any oil will remove wax residue from the skin. Most salons and spas use either baby oil or mineral oil to remove excess wax from the skin. Professionals use these oils because they are cheap, easy to find, and they work.
To sum it up, Waxing is a relatively easy procedure. If you decide to do it by yourself just follow our waxing tips and all should be just fine.