How To Remove Upper Lip Hair With Wax at Home | Upper Lip Waxing
Unwanted facial hair is a real problem for many women. To deal with it, you want something that is as painless as possible and that gives you a long-lasting result. If you do wax your upper lip, you can expect to be hair-free for up to six weeks.
While upper lip waxing might sound easy enough to do at home, we give you the professional tips you need to get the best results. Like how to avoid needless pain, rid the most hair and help you avoid seeing red.
The cold wax strips look like an easy and economical solution, but they don’t grab onto the hair that well. Use cream wax (compare prices) heated up in a wax pot. Great for delicate skin on the upper lip because it’s one of the gentlest waxes, it’s also easier to work with than honey waxes because of its less sticky consistency.
- Keep skin protected. Wash the area first with a creamy cleanser and pat dry. In order to form a protective barrier between the wax and your lovely skin to reduce irritation, dust a light powder on your upper lip. The powder will also absorb the remaining moisture in the area, so wax will go on properly.
- Prepare your wax the right way. Heat the wax until it looks like honey. (Usually. When in doubt, just FOLLOW DIRECTIONS.) Before waxing, always test the temperature to ensure that it won’t burn you. (Yes, violently yanking your hair out is okay, but burning is not. Don’t ask me.) You can test it on your inner wrist just like you would with a baby bottle. If it’s burning your arm, then let it sit out for a while. (Duh.) Once you think the wax is ready, stretch your skin taut by rolling your upper lip down over your teeth. (Yes, I do know how that sounded. Shut up.) This will ensure that all the wax touches all the hair at the best angle possible. Spread the wax starting from the divot in the center that connects your nose and mouth, expanding out to each corner.
- Pull! Okay, this can be kind of scary, but you’ve already got wax all over your lip and arm. Commit! Once the wax has cooled but is still pliable, use one hand to hold down the paper and the other to lift the lower edge up at one end. In a quick motion, pull the strip off using an upward motion. Ouch! Afterward you can soothe your skin with an alcohol-free toner like Chanel Precision Activateur Tendre Soothing Toner. I know you don’t like me right now sweetie, but the important thing is that you respect me.
Here are a couple of waxing tips:
- If you take painkillers at least one hour before waxing, it should minimize the sting. I know what you’re thinking: “Why didn’t you tell me this before?” Well, I’m trying to toughen you up. You guys are my beauty soldiers, and I need you hardened. Also, I don’t encourage needless medication consumption. Needless painful beauty procedures, though, are no problem!
- Make the wax at the ends of your mouth thicker than in the middle – it will make the wax easier to move.
- After waxing, always wear sunscreen on the waxed area. Freshly waxed skin is more prone to sun damage. Actually, ALL skin is prone to sun damage, so just wear sunscreen everywhere all the time!
- Immediately after waxing, rub an ice cube on the area to help soothe the skin and remove redness.
- Just to be safe, NEVER use waxing products that contain retinoid. They can make your skin extremely sensitive and prone to all kinds of damage.
- Your hair should be at least ¼ inch long before you attempt to wax your upper lip.