5 Easy Ways to Decorate Your Living Room: Home Decorating Ideas
Even if some people might consider turquoise an exotic color, this color is in fact one of the most easiest colors to use in the real life. Today’s living room is not nearly as formal as it was a century ago when it was a formal parlor used to entertain honored guests. Back then, one did not elevate one’s feet or sit on the floor in the living room. Today’s criteria is for the living room to double as a place to entertain guests formally, yet also a place for the family to be comfortable and at home.
Living space see a need for an area devoted exclusively for entertainment. This kind of entertainment room becomes the backdrop where friends and family can have a pleasant time together. In fact, in Victorian age, this room was also called the drawing room where visitors were entertained. An entertainment room may differ from house to house but the concept of devoting an exclusive area to it is a good idea.
- Clean the space so you have an empty canvas to work from. If you have hardwood floors, sweep them and determine if you need to have the floors mopped and/or buffed. For carpet flooring, first vacuum the floors and decide if you need professional carpet cleaning.
- Find the focal point of the room to determine how to purchase and place furniture. Your focal point could be a great view from large bay windows or it could be a fireplace.
- Measure your space to fit the type of furniture that you prefer. If seating is a priority, be sure you have space for a large couch, a love seat, an over-sized chair and ottoman or recliner, depending upon what you like. Determine which additional pieces of furniture you may need such as tables, book shelves and entertainment center.
- Shop and purchase the relevant furniture to fit your space. Pick out furniture with attractive colors and patterns so that they compliment your room. Depending upon the existing color of the room, chose furniture patterns. You may need to repaint your room prior to placing the furniture.
- Move your furniture into the space. Determine what accessories you need, such as curtains, ceiling fan, wall hangings, accent pillows, rugs, lamps, accent figurines or decorations.