12 Interesting Facts About Pregnancy No One Tells You About
Strange things happen to your body when you are pregnant. Since new mothers tend to worry, experienced women and medical professionals tend to gloss over the things you shouldn’t worry too much about. Being pregnant can be bliss but it can also be challenging to get through it.
If you are considering getting pregnant you should get acquainted with all the facts before doing so, so that you don’t encounter some unpleasant surprises. Physical and emotional changes can be subtle or off the wall, depending on the woman going through the pregnancy.
The Interesting and Amazing Pregnancy Facts
Here are 12 interesting pregnancy facts I came across. I hope you find them entertaining and informative at the same time.
- Even if most pregnancy is about 9 months, world’s longest pregnancy lasted 375 days and the baby was under 7 pounds.
- Pregnancy weight gain concerns many women, but it doesn’t translate into fat. Your breasts will account for 2 pounds of your pregnancy weight gain, as will the amniotic fluid alone.
- In some instances when woman is pregnant, in the late pregnancy you can clearly see baby’s hands, feet or other parts of the body pressed in your belly when the baby is moving or kicking. In those cases you get more aware of the baby inside your womb.
- Some studies have shown that couples that smoke during the time of conception have a higher chance of having a girl.
- Pregnant women usually experience a heightened sense of smell beginning late in the first trimester. Some experts call this the body’s way of protecting a pregnant women from foods that are unsafe for the fetus.
- During pregnancy, a woman is more likely to experience bleeding gums and nosebleeds due to hormonal changes that increase blood flow to the mouth and nose.
- Fish is great for improving brain development, even in a fetus. A study showed that out of 7,000 mothers, the babies of the women who ate fish scored higher in verbal skills than the babies born to mothers who didn’t eat fish. Now that’s real brain food!
- Those body changes aren’t all in your head. Your fingernails do grow faster, your hair can change texture, your eyeballs enlarge so contact lenses don’t feel right, and your gums are bleeding. You’re not imagining that all these things are pregnancy-related. They really are.
- In fact, babies of both sexes are known to masturbate in utero, but boys are the only ones who can be caught while aroused on the sonogram.
- When you go into delivery, it’s just the beginning of the end for pregnant woman. Gravida (or the pregnant woman) has to endure 14hours when giving birth for the first time or even longer. But the result is priceless.
- Many say that only moms can live the unconditional love for their children because they had the baby in their womb. But there are some dads that experience all the symptoms as their wives; like increased body weight and morning sickness. This is a symptom known as a sympathetic pregnancy or the Couvade Syndrome.
- It’s amazing that in just 10 weeks your baby will already have a preference as to whether he favors his right or left hand. I’m not sure how a study was done to figure this little fact out, but it’s interesting nonetheless.
There sure are some weird combinations of food consumed! Do you have anything you’d like to add to this list of 12 weird pregnancy facts?