Sun Tattoos and Their Significance
The sun is, in any culture, one of the highest regarded symbols of humanity. In any mythology, you will find that the sun is depicted as one of the highest in a pantheon of gods. The sun gives light, heat and life. Ancient civilizations revered it as a symbol of fertility, vitality, and every other quality that gives way to life.
The sun symbol can be seen everywhere nowadays. Knowingly or unknowingly, people have incorporated the revered sun-design on many common objects we see today. Look at the design of an electric fan; that looks a lot like a sun design, right? Look at the overhead view of the Vatican, a common birthday cake, a coin, a pancake: the round sun symbol can be seen everywhere.
Sun tattoos are sought after because they take the round sun symbols and use it to depict so much more. There are a whole lot of varieties of sun tattoos: rayed, plain circle, paired with a moon, gothic, tribal, Celtic, and the list just goes on and on As said before, each culture has its own depiction of the sun and hey, there are a lot of cultures (including the ancient ones) that exist.
The sun tattoo is preferred by many because it has a number of symbolic meanings that can be adapted by every person. Some may choose a sun tattoo because of the symbolism of light and knowledge. Often, the sun tattoo can be interpreted as the light of knowledge that shines on the darkness of ignorance. This interpretation is, naturally, preferred by intellectuals.
For others, the sun represents the cycle of life. These people get sun tattoos to remind them to live everyday as if the sunset is fast approaching. They live life to the fullest and enjoy every moment possible.
Sun Tattoo Meanings:
The sun tattoo symbolizes all the qualities, characteristics and energies associated with the sun. One should know that the symbolism completely depends on the pattern or the way the tattoo has been made. Sun tattoos can be simple, monochromatic, or can even be complex and multicolored. The following are some popular meanings of sun tattoos.
- One of the most important sun tattoo meaning is that it stands for truth and light.
- As it was earlier believed that the sun was responsible for birth and harvest; it also symbolizes fertility.
- It represents vitality, vigor, power, force and leadership.
- Sun tattoos symbolize dignity, courage, creativity, knowledge and self hood.
- One of the other important sun tattoo meaning is that it represents re-birth or reincarnation. As the sun sets and rises everyday, it strongly symbolizes immortality.
- The tribal sun tattoo design with a face of a human being inside the sun is believed to provide protection from dangerous or negative aspects of life.
- Although the sun is considered a masculine figure, sun tattoos for women can be made with the design of the sun along with the moon or stars to make it more delicate, or to represent feminine features.
- The design of the Celtic sun symbolizes fertility, healing and source of life. Hence, sun tattoos are used to depict the energizing and healing powers of a person.
- The pairing of the sun and the moon tattoo is also considered as the sexual and spiritual union of a male and a female.
- Common sun tattoos for men are the designs of an evil, angry or a flaming sun, symbolizing anger and fire associated with the sun.
- Sometimes, people draw the sun tattoo to depict passion for anyone or anything in their life.