15 Best Natural Home Remedies for Pimples
Pimples, whiteheads and blackheads are forms of acne. Acne is perhaps the most common among skin ailments that largely affect men and women alike within the age group of 12 to 24 years. Many people are of the opinion that the presence of pimples on the face, especially the cheeks and forehead could greatly affect their aesthetics. They therefore seek to break the pimple as soon as it appears on the face.
As far as skin conditions go, acne is by far the most common disaster to strike the face and body. When pores and oil glands get clogged, the result is a pimple. Depending on the cause of this highly unwanted blemish, there could be pimples popping up everywhere; no one is safe from their unsightly nature. In a lifetime, we will have all encountered an outbreak or two, and what’s worse is pimples have a real knack for appearing during all the wrong times: prom; weddings; job interviews; school pictures; and first dates.
What are Pimples?
When hairs, sebum, and skin cells group together, they may form a plug, which serves as a breeding ground for bacteria. Soon, swelling sets in and as the plug starts to “break down,” the result is an unattractive pimple. There are no age limitations when it comes to pimples. While teenagers and young adults suffer a greater chance of reoccurrence, there are some individuals who never lose their susceptibility. Men and women in their 50s and 60s may still show signs of acne outbreaks.
Causes and Symptoms of Pimples
As already mentioned, overactive oil glands play an important role in causing Pimples. The oil glands tend to become overactive due to over stimulation caused by hormonal changes. The hormonal changes could be triggered by puberty.
Hormonal changes caused by menstrual cycles also contribute in the development of Pimple in women. Though, the problem tends to subside once the hormones settle down. Hereditary factors may also be held responsible for causing Pimples and Acne in some cases.
Medicines containing lithium, iodides, bromides, steroids etc have been associated with the worsening of Pimples. Repeatedly washing Pimple affected area may also aggravate the problem as skin tends to produce more oil in response to repeated washing and harsh scrubbing. Stress has also been associated, though indirectly, with frequent breakouts of Pimples.
Pimples are generally characterized by red or yellow colored inflammations on the skin. They are often filled with pus. When a Pimple is squeezed, the pus spreads on the surrounding area resulting in further infection. Moreover, the act of squeezing increases the probability of leaving behind scars even after the healing. These pus-filled Pimples are less commonly known as Pustules.
Home Remedies for Pimples
Here are some home remedies for pimples which I have gathered from various sources. As they are home remedies, so try them with caution. Personally, I have only tried some of them and I have mixed results. I think not all these home remedies for pimples will work or effective for everyone. It all depends on skin types and the severity of the pimples or acne.
- Mix baking soda with your face wash. It can even out your skin tone and as baking soda is a natural cleaner, it’ll help to unclog your pores.
- Mix 1 tablespoon groundnut oil with 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice to prevent formation of blackheads and pimples.
- This is a popular way to get rid of pimples overnight. By dabbing toothpaste on it to help dry overnight. Then wash it off the next morning.
- Pour some peroxide on a cotton ball and dab it gently on the pimples. It disinfects well and prevents pus formation.
- A facial mask consisting of grated apple and honey serves as an effective home treatment for Pimples and Acne.
- Rubbing garlic on the affected area several times in a day is one of the most effective though smelly natural home remedies for Pimples. For quicker results, garlic should also be taken internally.
- Regularly applying the pulp of ripe tomatoes on the face for about an hour or so helps in the effective treatment of Pimples. Cucumber pulp can also be used in the same way with the same results.
- Raw papaya juice can be applied on the Pimples to cure Pimples naturally.
- Simply applying freshly extracted mint juice serves as one of the easiest possible natural home remedies for Pimples.
- Some claim that the juice of a raw papaya is another one of those effective home remedies for pimples. Just apply some fresh juice of raw papaya on pimples. Then wash it off.
- Mix some grams into unboiled milk and rub then apply it gently on your face.
- You can use lemons, tomatoes or witch hazel for this home remedy for pimples. Cut it out and rub it on your face. Leave it on your face until it dries. Then rinse if off and pat dry with a clean face towel.
- Raspberry mask : Mix 25g of mashed raspberries into a paste with 1 teaspoon each of plain yoghurt and finely ground oatmeal. Leave on the face for 10 minutes. Then wash it off. It is said to clear blemishes.
- Tea tree oil and aloe vera gel have anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties that help in dealing with Pimples. Marigold and wheat germ oil are also effective against Pimples.
- Applying a mixture prepared from fuller’s earth and some water or rose water is a tried and tested Pimple cure. Fuller’s earth helps absorb excess oil from the skin.
Home remedies for pimples are mostly natural and maybe that is why they benefit the treatment of pimples. The many man made processed products out there can clog pores and contaminate the blood stream. Home natural remedies could be good for pimples and good for you.