Top Ten Golden Tips For Dry Hair Care
If your hair is dry and frizzy, bad hair days may seem to come up more often than not. What can you do to have more good hair days or banish bad hair days forever? A simple change of routine may be what you need. Dry hair looks dull, feels dry, tangles easily and is difficult to comb or brush, particularly when it is wet. It is often quite thick at the roots but thinner and sometimes split at the ends. Dry hair can be identified quickly by its dull, lack-lustre appearance. This is often the result of excessive perming or coloring. However sometimes it can be because the scalp has fewer oil glands than normal.
Dry hair tops the list of hair woes for many people. Split ends, fuzziness and dullness characterize dry hair. Lack of proper hair care, heredity and exposure to bad weather conditions can cause your hair to become dry. There are many tips and treatments for dry hair care. Below listed are a few of them.
Causes of Dry Hair :
- Excessive shampooing
- overuse of heat-styling equipment
- missuse of color or perms
- damage from the sun
- harsh weather conditions
Each of these factors depletes the moisture content of dry hair, so that is losses its elasticity, bounce and suppleness. Dryness can also be the result of a sebum deficiency on the hair’s surface, caused by a decrease in or absence of sebaceous gland secretions.
Dry Hair Care Tips:
- Dry hair is the result of lack of required amount of moisture. In order to restore moisture, shampoo your hair with mild shampoo and then nourish it with a good conditioner. Leave the conditioner on your hair for few minutes before rinsing it.
- Avoid use of shampoos that are clear or transparent. These shampoos are also referred to as plain shampoos which contain little or no moisturizing effect. Go in for shampoos specifically made for dry and damaged hair that will provide enough moisturizer to your hair.
- Going for a haircut is another simple step to deal with split ends and dry hair. Ask your hairdresser to cut at least ½ an inch to ensure that your new growth will not grow with split ends. You can also opt for one of the short haircuts if your hair is dry all the way up to your scalp.
- Make sure that you step out in the sun only with a hat. Direct sun rays may dry your hair and also cause bleaching. Moreover, a cute hat is a trendy and will completely change your looks. If you swim, make sure to use bathing cap to protect your hair from further damage.
- Another simple method to restore lost moisture is to use 1 or 2 drops of olive or safflower oil on your hair. You should only take oil sufficient enough to apply to the hair ends working your way up to the scalp.
- Make use of soft, hair bristle brushes to brush your hair. These hair brushes with soft bristles will help spread the hair’s natural oils down the entire shaft providing enough nourishment to your hair.
- You can make use of a shining product on your dry hairs while under treatment to obtain a shiny and healthy look. You can make use of a glazing gel which will add a layer on top of your dry strands. It is however advisable to condition your hair before applying the glazing gel.
- Make sure that you don’t make use of any appliances or chemicals to better your hair. The color and creams that you might be using for hair can be one of the causes of hair drying. If you want to touch up your hair with a color, opt for root touch ups, highlights or low lights instead of coloring the entire hair strands.
- If you are using a blow dryer, cut down on the use of the dryer as it might cause further damage to your dry hair. If at all you have to use the dryer, force the air in the direction of the hair growth so that you don’t disturb the cuticle.
- You can also apply little body lotion all through your hair while applying it to your body. You can also make use of mayonnaise or olive oil to moisturize and condition your dry hair strands.