Delicious Chicken Fricassee Recipe
Here is an easy French recipe for chicken fricassee that includes the lovely flavor of tarragon, along with mushrooms, cream and white wine. It goes together very quickly, yet is rich and satisfying, even elegant. You can follow it to the letter for guaranteed good results, or feel free to change it around according to what you might have on hand.
- 12 chicken thighs
- 2 (12 ounce) packages andouille sausage, sliced
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 5 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Saute chicken and sausage in a large skillet for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove meat from skillet, add green onions and onion and saute until soft. Set aside.
- To Make Roux: In a small saucepan stir together oil and flour over low heat; cook until color is caramel and mixture is reduced to 1 cup of roux. Set aside.
- Put water in a large pot. Add the chicken, sausage, onion mixture, celery, seasoning, cayenne pepper, salt, ground black pepper and garlic. Bring all to a boil and cook for 20 minutes. Add 1/2 cup roux and stir together; the mixture should have the consistency of chowder. If necessary, add the remaining 1/2 cup roux.
- Reduce heat to medium low and simmer uncovered for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Serve hot over rice, if desired.