The 12 Most Effective Tattooed Skin Care Tips
Earlier the tattoos were always associated with the outcasts or the rebels. Tattoos, it seems, were only worn by the sailors or criminals, though it was a common ritual in many ancient cultures. As of now, getting a tattoo inked on your skin is considered to be a statement of your style and individuality.
Contrary to what a lot of people think you do actually have to take care of your tattoo. You don’t just go to the tattoo parlor get your ink and walk away and not have to do anything to your new tattoo. There are a few steps that need to be taken to take care of your new tat as well as some maintenance that should be done to them on a daily basis to ensure your tattoo stays vibrant and as new as possible.
The Best Tattooed Skin Care Tips
- Always, always wash your hands before you touch your new tattoo. You don’t want to get any kind of germs or bacteria in your tat.
- Wash your new tattoo a few times a day with a very gentle soap, like Johnson and Johnson’s baby soap. Apply the soap to your tat with a clean finger and rub it in gently. Then rinse your tat over lukewarm water. Never ever rub your tattoo dry. You can pat it dry very gently with a soft towel or just let it air dry.
- After getting the tattoo done, ensure that the artist dresses the tattoo properly. The tattoo must be wiped and cleaned and then, using a cotton ball, antiseptic ointment must be applied to it.
- Wrap the tattoo in bandage. You should keep on the bandage on for at least 2 to 4 hours. This will protect the skin when it is the most vulnerable. The dressing will also heal the tattoo faster and prevent scabbing.
- The tattooed skin must be cleaned every few hours. When the tattoo is getting healed, fluids will be oozing out. Wipe off this fluid with a clean cloth.
- Most importantly, do no pick your tattoos scab. Yes it will itch but if you pick your scab and scratch it it will ruin the tattoo. You need to let the scab fall off on it’s own.
- After your tattoo is completely healed apply lotion to it at least once a day to make sure it stays moisturized. If you follow this routine every day your tattoo will remain soft and smooth and the color will stay vibrant longer.
- Always keep the hands clean before touching the tattoo to prevent any chances of infection.
- The tattooed skin must be kept moist to assist the healing. Moisturizing also helps in preventing scars by keeping the scabs from falling too early. You can also use ayurvedic ointments and lubricants.
- Apply the lubricants more often to prevent the fresh tattoo from drying out. If you notice the tattoo is starting to dry then apply a coat of lubricant over it.
- The best way to dry your tat is to let it air dry. If you don’t have the time to do that, you can gently pat it dry with a soft towel. An even better technique is to cover it with a clean paper towel and let it wick up the moisture on its own. This will only take a few moments and is well worth the time.
- Always cover up your tattoo when in the sun and make sure you wear a sunblock of at least 45. And never ever expose a new tat to the sun!
Following these tattooed skin care tips about keeping your tat clean, protected and moisturized are the best ways to preserve your body art, but if your skin begins to show any signs of infection, don’t hesitate to visit your doctor.