Tasty and Easy Curried Cod Recipe
This tomato based curry may be modified for hotness depending on quantity of spices and number of jalapeno peppers used. It is a great favorite with my family – I make it about once a month.
- 2 lbs. cod
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups white stock
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt, pepper, and red pepper to taste
- 2 cups plain boiled rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped coconut
- Wash and dry the cod, and cut into pieces two inches square.
- Melt vegetable shortening in a saucepan, fry cod lightly in it, then take out and set aside.
- Add sliced onion, flour, and curry powder to the vegetable shortening in saucepan and fry ten minutes, stirring continuously to prevent onion becoming too brown, then stir in the stock and coconut, stir until it boils, and afterward simmer for twenty minutes.
- Strain and return to saucepan, add lemon juice and seasonings to taste, bring nearly to boil, then put in fish, cover closely, and cook slowly for half hour.
- An occasional stir must be given to prevent the fish sticking to the bottom of the saucepan.
- Turn out on hot platter and serve with rice.
- The remains of cold fish may be used, in which case the preliminary frying may be omitted.