Drinking The Milk for Losing Weight Fast
There are a lot of myths that dairy products are fattening and should be avoided by people who want to lose weigh, but contemporary studies on both animals and humans prove them wrong. A significant number of studies shows that there is a direct link between increased intake of low-fat dairy products and weight loss.
With an increased intake of dairy, you’ll also get the bonus of increased levels of calcium, which can also help you lose weight. How does calcium accomplish this? The general consensus among the studies I reviewed suggests that higher levels of calcium intake, particularly from low-fat sources, help to prevent fat storage, as well as to raise metabolism (the rate at which our bodies burn calories).
Milk, Calcium and Effective Weight Loss
According to research done by Dr Michael B. Zemel at the University of Tennessee, dietary calcium plays a crucial role in the regulation of metabolism and prevention of obesity. It was indicated that even without any changes to the diet or amount of calories consumed a day, consumption of calcium from dairy products increases fat breakdown and prevents fat storage, helping in healthy weight maintenance and the management of overweight and obesity.
It was indicated that consumption of 1,000 to 1,400 milligrams of calcium from dairy products a day could dramatically change the way your body burns fat and increase metabolism. In other words, drinking skimmed milk can help you burn fat, lose weight and trim inches off the waistline.
The Direction of a Good Weight Loss Plan
This research goes a long way to point you in the direction of a good solid weight loss program instead of just picking what you think will work and hope for the best like milk and weight loss. Instead of listening to the dairy industry, which has a vested interest in touting the supposed weight loss benefits of milk and weight loss.
You need to choose a weight loss plan that encompasses good eating habits along with exercise. Many health experts advise that rather than expecting a single product to function as a miracle food, those wishing to lose weight should instead focus on a balanced, healthy diet with consistency.
Follow these Tips to Increase the Calcium in your Diet:
- Use skim or 1-percent milk instead of water when cooking your oatmeal.
- Try string cheese (part-skim milk mozzarella) as a snack.
- Use Greek yogurt (non-fat or low fat), either with fresh fruit or added to skim or 1-percent milk and fruit, to make a yummy milk shake.
- If you are lactose-intolerant, try Lactated milk or calcium-fortified low-fat soy milk, or use the Lactaid pill when eating dairy to break down the indigestible milk sugar.
- Also available is Lactated low-fat cottage cheese.
- Try low-fat ricotta cheese with artificial sweetener and cinnamon for a guilt-free treat that’s similar to the filling inside cannoli!
- If your doctor recommends a calcium supplement, such as calcium citrate, remember to look at the amount of elemental calcium rather than calcium citrate in the bottle.
- If you have kidney issues, calcium acetate is preferred over calcium citrate.
- Keep your maximum dosage of calcium for one sitting to approximately 600 mg, since our bodies can’t absorb much more than this at one time.
- Avoid taking calcium with your multivitamin or iron supplement because they compete for absorption.
Never substitute any type of milk, including the fat free skim option, for water. Our bodies need water in order to function properly, even though it contains no calories or nutrients. Milk serves as a good substitute for many fruit juices and other milk alternatives, though.