Weight Loss With Healthy Protein Diets
A high protein diet can aid weight loss although for reasons not previously foreseen by many dieters. It is believed that a high protein diet, low in carbohydrates helps burn more calories when the body converted protein to glucose, a process known as gluconeogenesis. In fact evidence suggests that the amount of extra energy used for this process is insignificant.
Many Atkins diet devotees were also lead to believe that additional energy is lost in the urine when in ketosis, a metabolic condition often experienced on high protein diets. A recent study proved there is no real difference in energy losses in urine between low fat dieters and high protein foods diet followers.
How Do Protein Foods Help in Lose Weight
- Proteins reduce your appetite and so if you are eating high protein foods you will produce ketonic cells which are a natural appetite suppressant. By suppressing the hunger feeling you will eat less and this will obviously help to lose weight. After just two or three days on a protein only diet, your hunger should diminish and you can then follow a diet much easier without the constant threat of hunger.
- Because of the complex structure of proteins the body will work harder to digest them than with most other foods, therefore burning more kilojoules.
- Proteins are also reasonably low in kilojoules compared with fats and carbohydrates.
Protein Food Sources
Dairy, eggs and lean meat are the three main sources for protein. Protein foods include:
- low fat dairy products, such as skim milk, low fat yoghurt and low fat cottage cheese
- eggs, egg whites are in fact the only food that is pure protein
- poultry, mainly chicken and turkey
- lean meats, mainly beef and veal
Some diets will suggest eating protein rich foods while others might suggest using protein shakes for weight loss. Protein shakes are used as a meal replacement and can provide a simple way to lose weight. Usually a shake is used to replace two meals a day, great for someone who doesn’t have a lot of time to prepare meals.
Protein shakes to contain calories though and if using them to lose weight then it is important to read the ingredients to make sure you aren’t taking in too many calories. You don’t want to replace all meals with a protein shake, you still need to eat nutritional foods.
Do Protein Diets Work
A protein weight loss diet is very good for rapid weight loss but a protein only diet is not recommended long term. Eating protein only foods is missing out on many healthy, nutritional foods that your body needs. It is fine to use protein only for a few days to give yourself a kickstart with a diet, but don’t stick with protein only for any longer than that. It is possible to combine a protein only diet with a nutritional diet by having one day protein and one day that includes fruit and vegetables, like the Every Other Day Diet, then you are receiving good nutrition and still losing weight.
It is wise when starting any new diet to consult your doctor and let them know the type of diet you are going to do and what your goal weight is. Your doctor may be able to recommend a particular diet and help you to reach your goal weight.