Natural Hair Loss Treatment With Coconut Milk
Receding hair line can be a blow to your self confidence. Baldness makes you conscious about your appearance. Millions are plagued by hair loss problems. Markets offer many hair loss treatments which come with a host of harmful side effects. In such a situation, it is better to rely on home remedies for hair loss. One such natural treatment is the coconut milk. Fresh coconut milk not only stimulates hair growth but also nourishes dry, damaged hair. Now, that’s some bargain!
What is Coconut Milk
There is a general misconception that coconut milk is the liquid that is found inside coconuts. In fact, this liquid is coconut water and coconut milk is extracted from the meat found inside this fruit. You can make coconut milk by squeezing grated coconut meat. Such coconut milk will be thick and creamy in consistency. You may also grind grated coconut with a tablespoon of lukewarm water, before squeezing it to extract coconut milk.
Once used for extracting coconut milk, the grated coconut can be squeezed again with a more of lukewarm water, so as to extract thin coconut milk. Both these types of coconut milk can be used for culinary purposes. However, thick coconut milk is good for hair care. Let us take a look at some of the benefits of coconut milk for hair.
Coconut Milk Benefits For Hair
Coconut milk is the rich and creamy liquid derived from coconut extract, and is generally used as cooking base in many recipes. Coconut milk is a very healthy ingredient having medicinal properties and hence is recommended to be used in daily cooking to make the best use of its benefits. Listed below are some of the benefits of coconut milk:
- Diary-free alternative: Coconut milk is very useful to people who are lactose-intolerant, as they can drink or bake with coconut milk, while getting the benefits of normal milk without its effects. It can be considered a diary-free alternative to milk products. Vegan coconut milk is also available that is soy-free, gluten-free and nut-free. Coconut milk contains minerals and vitamins that help to reduce blood pressure and blood sugar. It also promotes bone and dental health. Coconut milk contains calcium, potassium, chloride, vitamins A and E.
- Strengthening the immune system: Coconut milk contains lauric acid that has anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties and can ward of bacteria and disease-causing germs. Regular intake of coconut milk can help strengthen the immune system and prevent cold, flu, sore throat and similar illnesses.
- Skin and Hair Care: Coconut milk has properties that make it very effective in repairing damaged hair and healing skin. For this reason, coconut milk is used in commercial products to hydrate, moisturize and repair hair and skin. Hence, it can be used as a home remedy for healthy skin and hair.
- Cancer and Degenerative Diseases: Antioxidants present in coconut milk help in clearing the body of elements that cause cell degeneration, thus preventing degenerative diseases like premature aging, wrinkles, sagging of skin, problems related to vision etc.
- Weight Loss: Coconut milk aids in weight loss, and as such is a perfect accompaniment to any weight diet program. The saturated fat contained in coconut milk is basically short-chain and medium-chain fatty acids that are immediately converted to energy and not stored as fat by the body.
Adding a dash of coconut milk to your regular cooking is a safe and easy method to introduce all the above-mentioned merits into your health.
How To Use Coconut Milk For Hair
You may get ready made coconut milk from certain supermarkets, but freshly squeezed homemade ones are always preferred for both culinary as well cosmetic purposes. Once you are done with the coconut milk preparation, all you have to do is to massage it (preferably in lukewarm condition) on the scalp. Gentle massage is always preferred. Leave it for at least an hour, before rinsing it with lukewarm water.
You may use a small amount of herbal shampoo to wash the hair. Repeat this procedure at least once a week for faster results. Such use of coconut oil may arrest hair loss and may also result in hair growth. It is also said to be a good remedy for one of the common hair problems, i.e. dandruff. Regular use of coconut milk and/or coconut oil is also found to reduce the rate of graying.
In order to boost the health and sheen of hair, you may apply a mixture of coconut milk and gram flour. For a cup of coconut milk, you need two tablespoons of gram flour. Apply this mix on the hair and scalp and rinse off after an hour, using a herbal shampoo. Coconut milk mixed with a few drops of lime juice is also used as a home remedy for curbing hair loss. Some people add aloe vera gel to coconut milk and use this mixture for hair care. Coconut milk mixed with equal amount of amla (Indian gooseberry) oil is also said to work wonders for hair.
Coconut milk is also used for hair straightening. This is done with mixing coconut milk and lime juice. Extract milk from half a coconut and add the juice of half a lemon into it. Combine them well and place the mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. Take out the bowl and remove the cream that forms on the top of the bowl. Apply it on the hair and cover it with a towel. Rinse off with a mild shampoo, after an hour. Apart from making the hair shiny, this procedure is said to make it straight.