Using Neutral Colors in Home Decor
If you use in your home decor neutral colors like white, beige and taupe, you will get an attractive canvas to work on. You can create appealing environment by using limited colors and patterns; you can also create the points of center of attraction in rooms, garden as well as in the living area.
You will also find that natural fibers are readily available in neutral colors and this will facilitate your experimenting with different textures. There are different varieties of texture in natural neutral colors and they instill calm and peace in the environment at home. You can use the following tips for creating your home decoration in colors that are neutral.
Home Decor in Neutral Colors:
- The first step to style your home in neutral colors would be to deal with every aspect of the house. Right from furnishings to washrooms to draperies, everything picked should match to the theme of the house.
- For simple peaceful homes, the best bet would be to use off-white or beige colored furniture. These give a calming effect to the room.
- In case you do not want to go for light shades, give your home a warm comforting rustic feel. For this, you should use dark neutral colors, such as shades of brown, rust and black.
- Next in line, comes the kind of draperies used. Remember, you are trying to revolve your room in the neutral colors, so the curtains, window draperies, slipcovers and pillows, all should adhere to the theme. While textures add character and drama to the home, colors give them a feel. So, everything you choose should be in sync with the effect.
- When it comes to accessorizing the room, the throw rugs, artwork, lamps, vases and other accessories should co-ordinate with the look. Remember, the accessories you use should be simple and in moderation.
- Do not mix up artificial tints to the neutral base colors. Not only can these be disturbing, but they also distort the overall effect of the home.
- Claustrophobic is a strict no-no for a neutral home. It makes the room look messy and unattended. Remove any furniture, which you think is useless and does not add to the look of the room.
- Instead of employing many small furniture objects, get single, multi-purpose and versatile items. These would give the room a sleek yet aristocratic look.
- In terms of lighting used, revolve it around the
- Make a note in your mind that neutral colors do have undertones or second shades to them. These undertones of colors can be pink, tan, gold, yellow, blue or even peach.
- Soft lights or central lighting that diffuse the light to the corners of the room are great ways to accentuate elegance and class of the house.
- Indoor plants are also great turn-on for the home based on neutral colors. You can either place real pots on the window sills or at the corners of a dinning hall or even go for artificial plants to keep them on top of tables or furniture.
- To make the neutral color scheme look interesting, vary textures, patterns, materials and finishes. Think of texture such as light-and-shade patterns or materials like net with the base of cotton.
Great information. Site is great. I really enjoyed while reading the tips. Keep up the good work